The High Art of Beauty


Saving Face with Grace : How a milestone birthday can spur taking action without going under the knife.

OK, it is now official. I am approaching the threshold to almost becoming a senior citizen. (Less than a decade away!) I can no longer excuse the signs of aging that have spread across an otherwise lovely face. I waited patiently, after all of my boomer babe gal pals had gotten their facelifts and yearly upkeeps of injectables and all the other stuff one does to look refreshed and perky. I did the minimum -- trying out the latest in lasers, peels, polishes and pampering -- hoping the signs would go away. And they did, temporarily. But now these unspeakable signs have taken up permanent residence on my face. Forget the rest of the body. This is now my face I’m talking about and these are not temporary wrinkles anymore. I will not idly stand by watching the deconstruction of my well-defined chiseled jawline, which is becoming more blended into my neck without the crisp delineation. To some I may look great, even ten years younger than my age, but to me it is about the not-so-pretty changes that are difficult to accept. My desire is to age with grace and let my inner beauty shine. And never fall prey to the Hollywood image of what’s hot and what’s not.

In my eternal search for non-surgical treatments, I have become a passionate journalist seeking ways to prevent further damage and the first to uncover the latest in leading-edge technology. After attending the Aesthetic Awards Ceremony at the Beverly Hilton Hotel in Los Angeles, I was delighted with the opportunity to meet the top beauty plastic surgeons on the cutting edge of ‘no cutting’ treatments that promise to rejuvenate the face without extreme measures.

In addition, I was invited to a demonstration of a new non-invasive technology at the swank L’Ermitage Hotel, also in Beverly Hills, where the best-of-the-best surgeons e.g.The Doctors, were showing up to watch Dr. Harold Lancer share his brilliance on this new technology. I was asked to be one of the demo girls and received a sampling of the treatment.

It suddenly dawned upon me that Dr. Harold Lancer was on the leading edge of beauty. Although he is a world-renowned dermatologist who deals with diseases of the skin, including the dreaded cancer, he is also someone who has an exquisite understanding of all aspects of beauty. Subsequently, I interviewed Dr. Lancer at his office in Beverly Hills. The minute I stepped off the elevator, I was greeted by some world-famous fine art pieces from Andy Warhol, to masterpieces from antiquity. I entered into a private world of refinement. This was a medical office that reflected his taste in the finest high art collection of masters, with prints and originals from Remington, Picasso, Renoir (on loan from the Louvre), Cassatt, Klimt, Pissarro and other notable artists.

As a fine arts major, I studied these modern masters and am very familiar with them all. I believe that if someone can recognize beauty in high art, then they definitely have an eye for beauty in many forms. I learned that although he completed a Plastic Surgery Fellowship after a Residency at Harvard Medical School, Lancer has chosen not to do any “nip n’ tucks.” Instead, to gain a more youthful look he concentrates on rejuvenating the skin without surgery. He tells his patients that time consuming and invasive treatments are not the answer and  tries to steer them to a simpler solution.

“Beauty grows from confidence. If you look healthy and happy, rested and at peace, beauty simply follows.” Dr. Harold Lancer, M.D., F.A.A.D

Many people who have achieved a level of mastery have been influenced by something in childhood that ignites the spark of genius. At the age of five, Lancer was scalded by boiling water and suffered serious burns. “Our local doctor took care of me and he said, ‘I’m not a dermatologist, but let me try my best to make this heal up,’” he says. The event left physical scars; it also triggered a lifelong fascination with the science—and art—of dermatology.

Visiting Dr. Lancer and being attended to by his attentive staff is like going to 5-star hotel and being treated like a star!  The best part is that I got a glimpse into the future of becoming ageless. It is very encouraging to find a doctor who treats all of his patients (and celebs) with a personal touch and encourages non-invasive beauty rejuvenation. He guided me to Exilis, the best treatment for me, using the deeply penetrating RF (radio frequency) to help restore my collagen/skin cells and tighten the muscles on my face (also super-effective on the body).

While it has been only a couple of months since my treatment, the effects are continuing, and my face has been subtly refined and refreshed. Dr. Lancer encouraged me to follow his path of “subtle treatments” on a regular basis. He envisions that the future of plastic surgery may be limited to extreme cases, like traumas, accidents or birth defects.

It is my mission to research the latest breakthroughs so that I can share it with my fellow boomer babes. I also believe that living a life of authenticity means allowing some of those smile lines as well as the frowns to remain. I have earned them all, even some sad ones, because it is a sign of a well-lived life. Somehow, getting older doesn’t seem like an unbearable condition but an opportunity to explore the latest technology and who knows what’s in store for the future!





Check out: www.lancerdermatology.com You can find a doctor in your area who offers this treatment Check out: http://www.btlaesthetics.com/en/

Comments